Wednesday, November 30, 2011

In the Belly of the Beast (November 16th)

While this might sound like a really interesting title for a blog. It really isn't. All I did today was work on school work. Another one of those days. I will note here though that the book I am reading for my American Prisons class is interesting. In the Belly of the Beast by Jack Henry Abbott is not for the faint of heart, but it definitely provides a new perspective on the life inside prison. Jack Henry Abbott is a convict that has spent all but 6 weeks of his adult life in the prison system. He started his criminal career in his youth and hasn't seen much of the American public other than the 6 weeks he escaped from prison.



Like I said, not for the faint of heart, the author does not use a filter in his writing, but if you are looking for an interesting or challenging read, pick this one up.
(I also want to note that Abbott does not speak well of the 'pigs'. He is referring to the prison staff, particularly the guards. I do not subscribe to his beliefs and this book should be read with a discerning eye.)

No comments: