Thursday, July 30, 2009

Saddle Sore

It’s not just an expression, it’s the real deal… I speak from pain… I mean experience. So, today was horseback riding. We needed to get out before the heat became unbearable so we headed out around 9am… that hour of course meant that I woke up and was on saddle in the same movement.

Now, I have ridden horses before, but not like this. I would generally ride in a large group of people with extremely well trained horses and a guide that would fix all your problems. I’m not knockin’ it, that’s a fun way to ride, but it’s nothing like this.



I was riding Torro, a horse owned by a friend of my stepmom’s. Now, Torro is extremely well trained as well, but I still had to know how to control him while in the saddle. His owner gave me the basics of turning, stopping and moving forward… and then I was on my own. Well, not really, we all rode together, but you know what I mean.


The ride was about 2 ½ hours long… which is WAY too long for a novice. It wasn’t that I couldn’t handle the horse or I got bored with the trail… Torro was great and the ride was AMAZING! It was the sore backside! I don’t care who you are, if you aren’t used to sitting in a saddle, it’s gonna hurt… a lot! Not only that, but you use muscles to stay on the horse that you don’t realize you are using… and is some cases you didn’t know you had.


When we got back, I dismounted (on the wrong side of course…) and tried to walk. Tried is the operative term there, my thighs hurt from tensing to stay on the horse, my knees hurt from being in the same position for two hours, and my backside hurt just cause… I made it back into the house however and collapsed on the couch.


I know it sounds like I’m complaining… but I’m not! Horseback riding is so much fun!! I wish I could do it more often… I’m just warning the novice’s out there, be prepared for soreness!


There isn’t anything planned for tomorrow, so don’t expect a post… but I think I’m going to be glad, cause my guess is, the pain is only going to get worse ;D


-Britt

P.S. I didn’t fall off like I thought I would… go me!

No comments: