Friday, July 24, 2009

Gardens, Gardens, Gardens



Today was not as long as yesterday but was just as exciting! Today we visited Washington Park in the western part of Portland. This area includes the zoo, a couple of gardens, some memorials and other such sites. UDW and I only visited two of the gardens however and then we tuckered out ;D.

The first garden we visited was the International Rose Test Garden. Don't worry, they don't perform tests on roses, no need to form a Rose Rights Protection group... Anyway, the garden is absolutely beautiful. And for those who know me, that is saying something... since flowers really don't do anything for me, they just sort of exist. In this garden however, the roses took over!






I was astounded by the many different colors, patterns and sizes of roses. Some were solid with vibrant colors. Others had edges tinged with a second color. Some had varied colors throughout. I can't go on, but just know that the pictures above and below do not do the garden justice. If you ever find yourself in the Portland/Washington Park area, you MUST visit the rose garden.






After the International Rose Test Garden, we took the lane up to the Japanese Garden. We had to hike up a hill to get to this garden, but it was well worth it, even with the $8 admission.


Entrance to the Japanese Garden

This Japanese Garden is meant to be authentic. So it was not wheelchair accessible, there were narrow paths, and unguarded pools of water. However, it was the most serene place I have ever been in. What amazed me was the large amount of people there and yet the garden remained extremely quiet. UDW mentioned afterwards how there wasn't a single person on a cell phone (at least that we saw/heard). It was simply peaceful. And also beautiful! The scenery was astounding and the running water gave wonderful background 'music' for viewing. Another excellent choice of visitor spots in the Portland area.


Waterfall in the Japanese Garden







After a quick lunch at Noodles and company (excellent restaurant if you have never tried it, thanks Ryan) we headed to the Lincoln Memorial. Both my Nana and Poppa (my mother's parents) are inurned at this memorial site. I had never visited my Nana's memorial before and since my Poppa recently died, I decided to go visit the site. The inscriptions and dates can be seen in the picture below. I have to admit, it was a sobering experience to visit their memorials.



I also stopped by the gravesite of my Poppa's mother. The story on her is one I have heard several times, but it never ceases to amaze me. Her husband died in the 1920's and she was left as the single mother of two (my Poppa and great-aunt). She raised them both through the depression without any help. WOW! Her stone is picture below.


I don't know why it came in sideways, but I can't fix it... so flip it with your mind.

After the memorial, we headed back for dinner at Arby's and a quiet night at home watching the A&E adaptation of Pride & Prejudice.
To prepare for another long day tomorrow, I'm off to bed!

-Britt

No comments: