Thursday, January 8, 2009

DAY SEVEN- 2 October 2008

Day Seven

To start the day, I woke up at 7:30am. I went to breakfast around 8, because the van was leaving at 8:30am. However, we ended up not leaving until around 9am. The boys had left earlier in the morning to get stuff done... and us girls showed up late to the site, ya know, in true female fashion. ;D We said a prayer before we left for CHC because we felt that some of the issues surrounding it should be addressed.

We we got to the hope center, I went inside the clinic to blow up balloons for the VBS game. When I finished that, I started taking pictures of EVERYTHING. I felt like I had missed out on what we had been doing and the people we were surrounded with. So, I tried my best to document it all.

When recess hit at 11am, we played with bubbles, again! I still can't believe how much fun bubbles are... I can't believe I didn't recognize that before I went to Kenya. However, I shouldn't be surprised that these kids taught me something else. Sometimes, I feel like all I did over there was learn from those amazing children!

After recess, I drank tea with one of the teachers. Her name is Madame Alice. We talked for about an hour and a half. And we talked about EVERYTHING! She asked me questions about American culture, which I did my best effort to answer truthfully. It sort of made me realize how little I know about the society I live in... guess that means I need to get out more ;D When I would answer her questions she would say "WOW" and then tell me how different my answer would have been if I lived in Kenya. It was pretty great to get some one-on-one time with her. I got to see how much she really loves her country, her job, her family and the children she teaches.

When Madame Alice had to go back to teaching, I realized what time it was, mostly because my stomach growled. The team couldn't find me... so they didn't call me to lunch, my stomach was not happy about that! When I got there, I tried to scarf down my food. I decided to cut up a banana for my sandwich... so one of my team members handed me a knife. After using the knife to cut my banana... I find out that this certain team member had taken the liberty of licking it clean earlier. Ewwwwwww! That was the least I could say. I won't spill who that team member is... but they know... maybe someday they will come forward... doubtful.

However, after being locked in the cabin Wednesday and then that (after NOT calling me to lunch)... I'm starting to think the team is doing to me on purpose, and my step-dad is probably coaching them on how to do it well! Okay, I'm just kidding, but seriously... pick on somebody else tomorrow ;D

After lunch we played frisbee with the little kids during their lunch. It was more like tackle soccer frisbee but it was REALLY fun. And I was glad to see that some of the male team members were able to take a break from construction to play with the kids. Boy can those kids play! (And RUN!)

During worship... Dave, Stephen and I tried out a new song, I am Free. It was a HIT! The older boys actually asked us to sing it again! That definitely changed the whole dynamic of worship. Those kids were praising God with everything they had. I couldn't believe what it felt like. It almost made me cry, almost. If it were up to me, we would have done the song over and over and over and over again. But, I think at that point we would have a finger-less guitar player. (Thanks again to Stephen for being so willing to lead worship everyday!) I was so glad I picked that song for worship on Thursday, and to think my other worship leaders didn't want to do it... tsk tsk ;D



As for the rest of worship, the kids were picking up on the words and actions so well... they didn't even need the help of Dave and I up front. I can't describe what an amazing sight and sound that was.

VBS was again excellent!!! And I hear that the game with the balloons went over VERY well!


As for the craft, the kids got to decorate little treasure boxes. We explained to them what the boxes were for, and they were really excited. Some of the kids drew pictures, others just colored and quite a few put a Kenyan flag on the top of their box. I was blown away at how much the kids enjoyed decorating the boxes. Each child had their picture taken with their box, name facing the camera... so now we have a picture of all the kids, along with their names.

After VBS, Jeff handed me another sheet of Swahili and English translations. I was starting to feel the pressure... We had to leave shortly after VBS so I didn't get a chance to practice, but I made sure to study before I went to bed.

The team had dinner and a debrief, again a pretty good day for us.

Before bed tonight, I found out that only one person commented on my blog... but then I remembered at how computer challenged my mom can be... so I wasn't TOO dissappointed. ;D
I also got to play indoor volleyball with some of the team members. I'm not sure how to describe it... other than... well... interesting... and a little scary.

Then, it was time for bed so that the next day would come that much faster.

This is one of my favorite pictures!!!


-Britt

No comments: