Friday, January 23, 2009

Day Nine- 4 October 2008

Saturday 4 October 2008

Well... I woke up this morning feeling okay... Pam made me eat something and hold it down before we left... but she didn't want me to miss out on the day, so that was her only requirement. ;D
One other team member left the site early the day before, but since she was feeling better, we both decided to head to the site again today.

However, Rachel and I made sure to take it easy while at the site. So, when we got to CHC, Rachel and I sat under the tree by the church for about a half hour. When people came up to the site, they greeted us and SMILED big time!
Rachel and I talked, shared sick stories... got invited to the goat slaughter... and watched the men and boys build the last soccer goal.

When it was time to present gifts to the kids at the home... Rachel and I decided to go. The children had prepared games and dancing for us to watch and participate in. I stayed for musical chairs and a dancing session before I started feeling really sick again. Rachel left with me and we headed back to the clinic. We missed out on tug-of-war and a presentation of awards from the home to the kids. Of course, we also missed watching kids get gifts from their sponsors.



Musical chairs for the boys


Dancing Session...

In the clinic, I laid down on one of the beds. I fell asleep and didn't wake up until the ceremony was about to start. I made it outside, feeling a little better, just in time to grab a seat.
The ceremony was a lot of people talking... I wish I could have paid better attention, but my head was still throbbing at that point. They did ask the team to stand up and introduce ourselves again... and again, the translator said that my name is "Bread."

Shane and his family...

Traditional dance at the ceremony...

Afterwards, we moved into the chapel for our feast! As the wageni (visitors) we ate first. It was soooooooo much food! I had chicken, goat, ugali, lentils and what someone told me was chapate. And of course, we bought soda to go with our food. I loved everything!!! But I couldn't finish it all... I gave my leftovers to one of the kids that was at the back of the line.

I think at one point that was our goat.

After our feast, Jeff found me and gave me a gift... evidently he had been looking for me all day while I was laid up in the clinic. He gave me a black and green beaded bracelet that Jill bought in Nakuru. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! I was so surprised... and I still wear it... all the time.





Jeff and I walked over to watch the older boys (and the men on our team) play some volleyball. I really think they enjoyed having their own court... they sure got a lot of use out of it on that day! I didn't get to watch for very long when it started raining... my entourage and I walked back to the vans, because I figured we needed to head out before the roads muddied too much.






Since we left early, I took a half hour nap in my cabin before we headed out for dinner. I started taking Cipro for whatever it was that was plaguing me... and it gave me a headache... so I tried to sleep it off.
For dinner, the team went out. We all ate at Taidy's, not too far from our cabins. I had peppersteak (recommended by Rick) and it reminded me of America's food. Needless to say, I enjoyed dinner very much. Shane's family hung out with us for dinner as well. And before we left, I danced with his boys... taught 'em a few moves ;D


At Taidy's!!!

After debriefing and hearing a devotional from Lisa, the team members split to pack and get some sleep.

Our last day at Cheppema Hope Center in the next post!!!

-Britt

No comments: