Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Kenya

This post is to update those in my family or my circle of friends that have yet to hear about my impending trip.

Approximately three weeks ago I was presented with the opportunity to join a group of people from my church who will be traveling to the Cheppema Hope Center in Kenya on September 26th of this year. This is one of the places that my church has partnered with to help children who have been abandoned, orphaned, and left on the streets with little or no hope. Once there our team will be rebuilding and equipping both a soccer and a volleyball field, supplying their school with a fully functional computer lab and provide training classes for the children. We will also be conducting a week long children’s program that includes bible stories, silly skits, singing, dancing, one-on-one mentoring and lots of love. As you may already know, my future career goals include some form of children’s ministry. I hope to gain from this experience valuable insight into the physical, emotional and spiritual needs of children from different backgrounds than those already familiar to me.

I am extremely excited about this trip. It will be my first overseas mission trip, so I'm expecting a lot of culture shock. I have only raised about .05% of my total for this trip, so I'm hoping that the rest of it will come in soon. I guess it's a lesson in trust...

I will make sure to give updates on this trip as much as I can, and you can expect a detailed day by day account when I get back.

Right now, I would appreciate prayer. Prayer mainly focused on the rest of my professors giving me the O.K. to go, but I would appreciate any prayer you decided to send up for me.

No comments: