Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Detroit Day 5- Wednesday March 4th

Detroit Day 5-- Last Day!!!

To start this particular blog off, I have to explain something. We signed up for ministry sites the night before we actually set off to those sites. As a driver, I actually got to sign up first, that way, the rest of the team would know how many slots there were for each site. So the night before Day 5, I signed up for a ministry site, but they ended up not needing me as a driver at all for that day... so I got switched without my knowledge to go to Angel House... Angel House is a ministry in Dearborn. Dearborn has the largest Muslim population outside of the Middle East. It also contains the largest mosque in North America.
Here's my thinking... God planned that. Of course He did!! I had just met with three Muslim girls the day before, and I realized I knew nothing about their religion. And then I got moved over to the Angel House ministry, to learn even more about the Islam religion. Now, I just need to listen more carefully for what He wants me to do with what I learned.

Angel House Team with Angel House "Head Lady"

So, since I was going to Angel House, I had to wake up to GO this morning. We left at 9am for Angel House, luckily I didn't have to drive because I wasn't really awake yet!
When we got there, we got put to work... that's how I like it! I got put in the childcare room... since I work in children's ministry, I thought it would be a piece of cake... yeah, I thought wrong. It was crazy!!!! We had the kids for a couple of hours, but it definitely felt like days. Remind me of this when I talk about having kids...
Anyway, I made it through childcare... mostly because they had a cheat sheet with some Arabic words, such as No! After the mothers picked up their kids, we got in some Angel House vans and headed to the largest mosque in North America. Now THAT was an experience.

Inside the main room...


First of all, I never thought I would ever step foot in a mosque... I just didn't seen any reason that I ever would. So, I had no idea what to expect. We had to wear scarves on our heads (but not fully covered... because we do not believe what they do) and we had to take off our shoes. We walked in the equivalent of a sanctuary and saw a few men praying. Inside that room, there were inscriptions on the walls and the floor was covered in a rectangle like pattern that looked like prayer mats. In fact, I believe that is the intention of the carpet.
We then walked into the bathrooms where there were stools placed in front of spouts where they wash their feet before praying.

Inscriptions...


Actual Prayer mat, stone they press their heads to, and prayer beads...


As explained above...

After the bathroom, we moved upstairs to watch a group of students (from the Muslim school next door) in the main room. The students all filed into the room and onto a "mat" on the carpet. For a while we watched the students chat and horse around. Then the Imam came in and led the group of students in prayer. There was singing and chanting (along with standing and kneeling/bowing) in a follow the leader sort of fashion.


Our Team in front of the largest mosque in North America


We left before the students were done with their session. We headed to another mosque where we actually sat down and talked to an Imam. It was.... uh... interesting to talk to the Imam. Some of the things he said were outright lies (as in I could tell they were)... some were lies about the Christian beliefs... and some things just sounded ridiculous. Then, other things he said... made sense. It is hard to say that because I don't believe them... at all... but if I had been unconvinced about my salvation or I knew nothing of the Islam religion/Christianity... he would have been convincing. I think it's good to recognize that, because I truly understand how much of a danger it is...

the Imam we talked to...


We left the mosque and headed back to the Angel House. There we learned a LOT about the Islam religion and we even discussed things that the Imam said or alluded to. Again, I won't discuss them here because I do not believe them but feel free to ask me in person.

For dinner, we went to a new location for some SOUL FOOD! The dinner was amazing!!! I also had "greens" for the first time... and they actually weren't bad. I need to get out of my comfort zone more often and try new things ;D

Room set up for Soul Food Dinner


We then went to a Church service (being that it was Wednesday night). There was a pretty awesome dramatization about the walk to Calvary. At the end of the service, the pastor asked everyone to take the post it notes we got as we walked in and write down our trespasses and the things we haven't given over to the Lord. He then asked us to walk to the front to and put them on the cross. I really 'enjoyed' that visualization of my sins on the cross... in fact, it really helped me give them over to God.

Back at CCF, we had an awesome shaggin' and song session. Had issues uploading the video... will try again later.
It was a late night, but an amazing end to an amazing day!



The next morning, we packed up and headed home.
Amazing trip... one I would love to experience again!
-Britt

No comments: