Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Day Two-- We arrive... maybe!!

Literally... the smell of coffee hit us in the London airport. Almost the entire team hit up Starbucks, even though a cup of coffee cost us an arm AND a leg (or, like $10). I personally didn't get coffee, but I did enjoy a great Mango Passion Fruit Blend (for $7).

About the airport, Heathrow is AMAZING!!! That place is HUGE!! We took a 10 minute bus ride around the airport just to get to the right terminal for our next flight. Then, when we got to the right terminal, we went through this MASSIVE security checkpoint. There were at least 20 metal detectors. We all go through with only one hiccup... one of our team members had to check her bag... evidently it was too big. Surprising since it wasn't too big on the way TO London. Oh well, different airlines, different policies.

After we passed the metal detectors... Stephen setting them off... we walked into what I can only describe as a city. Not even like a small city, but a decent sized city. There was TONS of shopping, a bank exchange, Starbucks, restaurants, electronic stores... etc. I mean seriously, who needs to buy a computer IN the airport!?!?! Anyway, this place had everything!! I really can't think of any reason to leave it, except maybe for a more comfortable place to sleep. Although, I didn't make it all the way around the terminal, there could be a mattress store somewhere in there...

Some of us sat and talked, journaled or stared off into space and others shopped. Either way... the time passed pretty quickly.

We all got on the plane and then sat, in the same place, for two hours. It was insane!! A few times the captian came over the intercom and announced what was going on. First, they had to go in and find 17 passengers luggage because they didn't make it to the flight. And then, since we had to wait for that... we were at the back of the line for take off. Some of our team members slept, wish I had. Anyway, we pulled off and I was OUT! I slept for almost 6 hours and the goal was to not sleep at all. Whoops!

British Airways are NICE. We all had personal TV's where we could choose what movies we wanted to watch and a CD library to browse. Plus, the food was AMAZAING!

Anyway, after the 8+ hour plane ride, we all deboarded and headed for customs. We stood in line for about a 1/2 hour. I was the last member of our team to go through. To tell the truth, I was sort of worried. I was afraid they were going to ask me a question I didn't know the answer to, and that I would get held up and left in the airport. But thankfully, nothing of the sort happened.

When I got downstairs, everyone was unloading our bags from the conveyer. Amazingly enough, we only ended up ONE bag short. For some reason, it never left London. Thankfully it will be in Nairobi Sunday night. Speaking of Sunday, it is here.

Our plane arrived at 11pm and we didn't start towards our 'hotel' (since I don't know what to call it) until midnight.

Check in later to hear about our ride to the hotel, our first night in Kenya, AND our first experience at a Kenyan church.

-Britt

1 comment:

Rusty said...

Sooooo,,,,,,did ahh,,,Did anything happen after that? .... ... Cause,,I can't tell by looking at this blog......did you make it back?...... you know,,,if the trip had taken as long as the blog,,,, you could have become a citizen..,. ...... hello........ is this thing on? .....